- Thesis Defense - How to Do It Like a Pro?
- Thesis Defense - How Does It Go?
- How to Get the Highest Grade for Thesis Defense?
- Tip #1 - Get Ready in Advance
- Tip #2 - Get to the Root of the Matter
- Tip #3 - Do Not Forget about Patience
- Tip #4 - Demonstrate Your Knowledge
- Thesis Defense: Nuances You Are to Know
- Evaluation Criteria for Theses & Their Defense Results
- Final Thoughts
In the life of each last-year university graduate student, there comes the time when one is faced with the need to write thesis and defend it in front of a large examination board. Is it the case of yours; is your thesis defense getting closer every day? Still don’t believe in your success? Do not panic! Our thesis writing service has prepared for you key tips and recommendations that will help you can achieve the cherished goal.
Thesis Defense - How Does It Go?
There are several unspoken rules that a person need to follow to be 100% sure to be able to perfectly prepare for his program thesis defense. The approximate procedure of thesis defense covers the following steps:
- Presentation of the topic for your dissertation;
- Listing of the main objectives of your work, as well as the relevance of the chosen topic in you field;
- Discussion of your subject, object of your research, as well as the period of its conduction;
- Presenting the main vectors of your research, as well as the identified shortcomings and possible ways to solve problems. It is important that all the assumptions made in the work are logically consistent with the rationale contained in thesis body. Otherwise, the committee will have many questions you will have to answer.
- In the final part of the report, it is best to make a general conclusion.
As a rule, the length of the report does not exceed 5 pages of the Word text format with a font-size of 14 points and a 1.5 line spacing. To be ready for thesis defense, you must prepare a presentation and speech. Such illustration material is used as a visible guide that demonstrates and proves the main points and results of the research. Information to be used in a presentation is selected by the master students in accordance with the material discussed in the explanatory note to the work. Such materials may include various drawings, tables, graphs, and so on.
Searching for excellent college graduation gift ideas - find them all here.
How to Get the Highest Grade for Thesis Defense?
It is not easy to defend a thesis professionally if you have never done it before. Defending a thesis is an extremely laborious process that require both in-depth understanding of the topic and professional speaking skills. However, everything is doable, and there are some tips that will help you deliver the task and obtain a degree.
Tip #1 - Get Ready in Advance
It is not a secret that all thesis works is required to first be reviewed by the project supervisor. Therefore, it is highly recommended submitting a ready-made version of the thesis for review to your advisor in advance. Thus, your supervisor will be able to read the paper and make edits, and there still will be enough time for you to do all the corrections and improve your thesis work.
Tip #2 - Get to the Root of the Matter
As a general rule, thesis defense lasts no more than 5-7 minutes. During such a short period of time, it is necessary for you to convey the essence of your work, its relevance and importance. You should in no case retell the content of the thesis. Instead, you are to focus on the main point of your work and present only the most weighty arguments. Thus, in your presentation, you should set out the basic statements defining the work importance, research you have conducted, and conclusions you have come to.
Tip #3 - Do Not Forget about Patience
It should be remembered that the key to successful thesis defense is a thorough preparation. It is best to make a performance plan and rehearse your speech by retelling your defense in front of either your friends or relatives. It is the rehearsal that will help to adjust the size of your speech to the most optimal by deleting unnecessary statements and leaving only the high-importance information.
Tip #4 - Demonstrate Your Knowledge
It is always possible to entrust thesis writing to some writers or agencies; however, it should be remembered that without mastering the basics of the subject, it is impossible to get a positive assessment of your knowledge. Therefore, it is necessary to answer the subsequent questions of the examination board clearly, competently, and without any confusion. In fact, this is easy to achieve only if you are confident in your knowledge.
Thesis Defense: Nuances You Are to Know
Of course, detailed preparation of your presentation and speech is highly important. You also sjould be sure all your citations are done right. But we have some other recommendations to follow if you want to get the highest grade for the thesis defense:
- Before the defense day, be sure to sleep. On the “X” day, you can drink a sedative, but do not overdo it;
- Come to an educational institution in advance, no less than 30 minutes before the defense session starts;
- During the thesis defense, speak on the essence of the chosen topic; it is not a good idea to use general phrases when presenting a scientific work;
- Forget that you do not know something - there may be situations when commission members ask a question; in this case, you should not keep silent and answer at random. Keep time to think about the question and find the correct formulation for the reply.
It would be a good idea to plan your speech and think about the questions that the faculty commission board may ask you. Thus, you will have enough time and resources to explore the theme more deeply and will be 100% ready for any question to be asked.
Learn how to write a thesis introduction: secrets, tips, advice
Evaluation Criteria for Theses & Their Defense Results
The major criteria for the evaluation of theses and the results of their defense are the following ones:
- Compliance of the thesis content with the stated theme, set goals and objectives;
- Clarity and logical validity in setting goals and objectives of the work;
- The presence specific references to primary sources in the thesis;
- The use of relevant regulations in the text of the thesis;
- The use of materials of up-to-date periodicals and accounting of the established practice on the research problem;
- The use of special literature on the issues under consideration in the work;
- Completeness and quality of the collected actual data on the basis of the study;
- The presence of elements of a creative approach to solving problems and the application of modern research methodology;
- The student’s ability to analyze and correctly interpret the results obtained as a result of the analysis;
- The validity of conclusions and recommendations made in the thesis, as well as the possibility of their practical implementation;
- The style of material presentation and the absence of grammatical errors and misprints;
- The quality level of work;
- The appearance and content of the presentation prepared for thesis protection;
- The ability to competently, logically and reasonably present the results of the thesis in the form of a report presented on the defense day without reading its printed version;
- The ability to debate on theoretical and practical issues of the thesis, the depth and accuracy of the answers to the questions of the department commission member;
- Approbation of the thesis (introduction into practice, the availability of copyright publications on the topic, speeches on the topic at different conferences, etc.).
Thesis statement defense is not an easy thing to do, especially if you do not have any experience. The same goes to thesis statement writing. We hope that the above tips will be useful for you; however, if you do not want to risk and want to rest assured about a high grade, then you can order a professional assistance from us on this site; just like for many students from around the world, we will help you write a top-quality thesis on any topic and will prepare a brilliant presentation as well as an all-covering speech for the defense!